College Park Airport has been an active airport since 1909 when it was founded by the Wright Brothers!
College Park Airport (KCGS) was established in 1909 after Wilbur Wright came to the field to train two military officers to fly in the government's first aeroplane. The facility is now the world's oldest continually operated airport,and is the site of many significant aviation firsts. College Park Airport, known as the "Field of Firsts," remains an active airport serving the needs of aircraft pilots, and is also a site for history buffs and aviation enthusiasts.
The airport was purchased by the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) in 1973 and operates as one of the gateway airports to Washington, DC and Prince George’s County. We have a 2,600’ x 60’ runway and offer both tenant aircraft parking and transient aircraft parking. We currently have aircraft parking for more than 100 planes, fueling services, weather briefing capabilities, and a pilot lounge. We are located just steps away from the College Park Metro Station which provides easy access to Washington, DC and surrounding areas. On the field is a historic hangar where the first airmail operations were based and is home currently to the Prince George’s County Police – Special Operations Division.